Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Favorite Cake

A buttery yellow cake with rich chocolate icing has always been a favorite choice for my birthday. I recently found out that it was also my boss' favorite cake. When we were planning her at-work party, I volunteered to make the cake since I love to bake.

For the cake, I used Paula Deen's 1-2-3-4 cake recipe. The layers came out really even and beautiful.

Photobucket

To frost the cake, I used my grandmother's cooked frosting recipe.

Photobucket

Richmond Chocolate Frosting

Ingredients
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup cocoa
dash of salt
1 cup hot water
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla

Instructions
Mix all ingredients except butter and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the frosting until it is thick, stirring constantly. Once it is thick, remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. This yields enough to frost a double 9-inch layer cake.

--Krystal

No comments:

Post a Comment