Monday, January 28, 2008

Adventures in Bread Baking: Bake Harder


Two weeks ago, Fenrirwulf tried baking bread from a step-by-step recipe that he found on the internet. The bread looked really pretty in the pans and it smelled really nice baking but we had some problems removing the loaves from the pans and the taste of the bread was also flat and a bit bitter.

I augmented the recipe yesterday and added 1/4 cup honey and 2 tbsp of salt to the recipe instead of what was listed. The bread rose nicely (I turned the oven on to preheat and sat the dough in a container on the stovetop so it was plenty warm this time).

I didn't get the four 1.75 pound loaves and one 1.25 pound loaf that I should have. Next time, I'll probably work in more flour...maybe one to two cups more. I had to have Fenrirwulf shape the loaves for me because I was getting very frustrated because I was trying to make bread in a very limited amount of time.

We sprayed the pans with Baker's Joy spray and they came out beautifully this time.

We tasted the bread last night and it tastes much better. Not at all bitter. But, it still needs more honey and more salt. I'll probably add 1/2 cup honey and 3 tbsp of salt next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment