Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Large Pot of Soup

A couple of Sundays ago, I made a big pot of chicken soup. I took a whole chicken and boiled it until it was done. Took the chicken out of the broth to let it cool enough for me to debone. To the pot full of broth, I added carrots, celery, onion and some parsley that was just going to go to waste otherwise. I seasoned it with salt and pepper and let it simmer till the vegetables were nearly done. Then, I added the chicken back to it all.

The next day, Matthew and I each took about a pint of soup to lunch each. When I heated it up and tasted it, I was so pleased, it was great soup, had been easy to make and tasted better than canned soup (and was probably less expensive). That night, we put away 9-10 quarts of soup in the freezer (there are only the two of us living in the house, so this soup should last us a good long while for taking to lunch at work).

A week later, we are still eating the soup. I'm getting tired of it but it's not bad. It still tastes good on the cold days that we've been having.

However, today, ten days later, I eat the soup and it nearly makes me sick even after taking a break from it yesterday. It's almost the worst thing I've ever tasted. It's very interesting to me that I've progressed from it being the most awesome soup in the world to something I can barely keep down.

This is the problem, I think, with bulk cooking for two people. Even normal recipes make way more than the two of us together could (should) eat but bulk recipes fill up our freezer and we eat on them until we can't even imagine eating that particular food again for a long long time. I think the next time I do a big bulk meal on the weekend, I'll do more than one so that we at least have some variety with our lunches. I just need to get better about managing my time on the weekends so I can get everything done that needs to get done (but that's another story).

I think tomorrow, I'll bring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch...

No comments:

Post a Comment