Monday, April 25, 2011

Spring 2011 update

So, I finally had some time to make an update. Now that it is actually spring and we are doing farm time things, I have something to write about.

We finished fencing in the garden finally. Sorry the pic is a little blurry, was taking pics quickly while there was light.

Photobucket


It is 48'x20'.

We got it tilled, which was absolutely no fun. Established centipede sod has some mighty deep roots to dig though.

Garden before tilling

Photobucket


In process of tilling

Photobucket


We found an old foundation in one corner of the garden.

Photobucket


The blocks were about 4-6 inches below the ground and made of solid concrete in a partial rectangular panel. The tiller wasn't too happy since I kept running into them once I thought I had dug the last one out. It was quite a surprise since Krystal's grandparents had the land since the early 50's and no one remembered a building being there.

After tilling

Photobucket


For the first tilling, we rented a front tine for the weekend. Of course 2 weeks later the grass was making a strong comeback. Luckily, which is not something I say in regards to myself often, we found a used tiller for sale online just a couple miles from our place. It works great and cost about 1/3 the price of a new one.

Last weekend we bought some tomato and pepper plants from the local farm store and got them planted. The spring kinda sneaked up on me and I never got around to starting my own plants so we bought some local ones.

Photobucket


We have just gotten started, we still have to lay down a frame around most of the beds, get the beds leveled out and soil amendments added.

No comments:

Post a Comment